Monday, February 06, 2006


When we left Curt last he was in the throes of yelling at evil little neighborhood dogs and various other lesser creatures. I am going to go ahead and blame it on the Nason-ex. It contains steroids, which I have always thought were used by weightlifter body builder football player types and caused aggressive behavior. We I did not physically hurt anyone, but I sure was aggressive personality-wise. I did not like it, I think I will sniffle this time next year when the icky pollen presents itself.

As for fido, it turns out the animal's name is annabel and she is actually a sweet little pooch, who has now lost front yard priveleges from her mom and dad.... perfect vaccination record and dare I say it, actually a sweet dog. Perhaps I was the Dr. Jeckyl/ Mr. Hyde. What is a guy to do.
Not take the freakin Nason Ex.

Anyhow, I have been kinda lost in terms of what and how much and what kind of run to do so I went for a easy 15 on Sunday, one week from Birmingham Marathon. My training since Disney has been haphazard at best so we'll see what comes of it. Top that with a significant twinge in my right calf on Sunday around mile 13...... I am a little nervous, hills, leg, training, hmmmm recipie for something.

I think at this point that thinking about bettering the Disney time is foolish. I need to simply run a conservative race and don't get hurt between now and then. (Read take it easy on Tuesday Ultimate.) Stretch. Soak.

Finally do Epsom Salts REALLY work? I find it hard to believe that a bathtub soak can help. Will someone please tell me this is not snake oil?

Anyhow, I am feeling back to normal, without the steroids. I wonder if I am disqualified form winning the Mercedes Marathon... Oh wait I woudl not win in a car!

Curtai


Making Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate from Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)
MgSO4 • 7H2O = Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)MgSO4 = Anhydrous Magesium Sulfate
Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate will absorb water from the atmosphere, acting as a very effective desiccant or drying agent.The drying power of Anydrous Magnesium Sulfate is superior to that of Anhydrous Calcium Sulfate (Drie-Rite).Epsom Salts can be easily converted to Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate by baking in an oven at temperatures between 400°F and 482°F
150°C = 302°F At this temperature Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate is converted to Magnesium Sulfate Monohydrate200°C = 392°F At this temperature Magnesium Sulfate Monohydrate is converted to Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate250°C = 482°F Loses all waters of hydration. yielding Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate1124°C = 2055°F Decomposes to MgO, SO2, SO3 before or as it reaches melting point.
Melting Point: 1124C (2055F) Decomposes, Loses all waters of hydration @ 250C (482F)
-->
MgSO4 7H2O = 246.4564 molecular weightMgSO4 anhydrous = 120.36 molecular weight
120..36 / 246.45 = 48.83%246.45 / 120.36 = 204.76%
Anhydrous MgSO4 can absorb 204.7% it's weight in water

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Good Luck on Sunday. What possessed you to run a marathon just 5 weeks after the last one?

5:54 AM  
Blogger Curtai said...

(It was the Devil, actually Disney was such a good Marathon for me, that it seemed perfectly logical to go into a maintenance mode and run another.

We'll see, thanks for the comment.

Curtai

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home