Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ultimate On my Mind



I am not sure why, but Ultimate is more on my mind right now than marathon. I am not sure why. I have a back to back marathon/Ultimate tourney coming up. The marathon I run alone, but the ultimate, I am sort of coordinating the team. I suppose that may be a portion of why my thoughts are there. 20 something people is quite a load to deal with. I suppose I will be able to breathe as soon as everyone's rides are secure. I have paid committments from 14 people, with a possible 15th. this is plenty for a tournament even if a few bail. I do not anticipate this as most of them appear to be planning to attend. I guess I am ever the mother hen.

I have printed the elevation change map for Bham and there are two 1+ Mile uphills and 2 down hills of the same distance. The one at 6 miles will be ok, the one at 23 miles has me a bit nervous! Hmmmm, I may walk up the hill, or go at whatever speed the same exertion allows for at that point in the race. Either way it will be interesting.

Today's picture is Vulcan, the statue that rises above Birmingham

Vulcan Park is home to the world's largest cast iron statue and features spectacular panoramic views of Birmingham. We tell the story of Birmingham's past, present and promise for the future. Take a virtual tour of Vulcan Park.
The history of Vulcan is deeply tied to Birmingham's roots and its growth. Vulcan, the Roman god of fire and forge, was originally built in 1904 and has stood as a symbol of Birmingham for over 100 years. After a four-year renovation, Vulcan Park reopened to the public in 2004 and welcomed over 100,000 visitors its first year.
Vulcan Park is operated by Vulcan Park Foundation, a non-profit organization with a mission to preserve Vulcan as a symbol for Birmingham, provide a dynamic educational experience in a public park setting, and serve as the gateway to the region.
There are always fun activities at Vulcan Park! Whether you are a guest to the Magic City or a Birmingham native, we invite you to visit our 10-acre grounds with free WiFi Internet access, experience the area from Vulcan's view, or tour Vulcan Center to learn Birmingham's past, present and promise for the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home