Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Schedule Decided




My next attempt at the Marathon looks like it will be in October, at the Greater Hartford Marathon in Connecticut.

THere is entirely too much pressure in the world to do anything sooner. Perhaps I will step back to running for the sake of running. I will have to find a motivation other than training for a race to continue. This may be the hardest thing of all. Training because I have an event planned is the single motivating factor when I just don't want to put the shoes on. THis should be interesting. Lets hope we don't wind up with a 2 pack a day habit again, that is what I feel like doing now. Pitching in the towel and quitting altogether.

HOWEVER, I will not quit, I will not die because there is pressure. I can be on the extreme and compulsive side, so left to my own unchecked enthusiasm, I wind up knee deep in whatever I am focused on. To some more balanced people, this is not normal. Ahhhh but those balanced people do not get the depth of experience that comes with singular focus. Neither can they or do they care to understand. My particular struggle is not to make them understand, but is to seek to understand that vantage from which they perceive situations..... There is a prayer that goes like this.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

I will run in October, October 13 to be exact 26.2 miles in under 4 hours.
Goal set, unless something drastic changes, Goal Set. Further, I hereby commit to raising funds for a charity that will benefit from my effort. More on what charity later.

I will not sit on the couch and die today.

L8R.
Curt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Drama King, I hope that you find peace with the self sacrifice it takes to consider all points of view. I know it is a foreign concept, but there is a balance to be sought, even when it comes to sports. Wouln't it be a perfect world if we could have the time to engage in our pleasures as much as we do our jobs and our families? To focus on helping others to be the best that they can be, for example, at math, editing remarks, swimming, or piano. Perhaps teaching another how to achieve a goal through daily dicipline and practice would create an attitude that would inspire others to be their best so that they can run the marathon of life successfully. Perhaps this could enhance the pleasure one gets from setting and acheiving goals. Remember, there is only so much time in a day, and we only have this moment, right now, today, to have the chance to share that gift.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home