Thursday, May 11, 2006

First Steps Again


You know what's weird, right now as I sit here running 10 miles sounds kinda scary. I ran today at lunch for 4.5 or there abouts and my legs are achy and I feel all whiney and I think I need a wambulance.

I need to rebuild my crumbled capacity. It seems that I am again starting from zero, well ain't that a kick in the teeth. I was looking at the length and the miles I need to build in order to get to Marathon distances again and I am not sure I have the time. I mean the 10% rule should apply to avoid injury right, so if my weekly totals for the last few weeks have been 10 miles then no more than 11 this week..... That is not gonna make it friends. September 3 will be here fast, but I do have 18 weeks, so it IS possible, My goal for this week is simply to get out the door and run 6 days.Next Rest day should be Next Wednesday.

My ankle hurts from rolling it last week, it still feels swollen and tender to the touch so I will have to be a little gentle. Drink my waters and eat properly and I should lose these injury pounds.

Current weight 164, Goal 156.

I think the whole idea of a scooter has worn off, I can not imagine riding around in this traffic with these Florida drivers! + I can't keep the kids in place!

Curtai

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Don't worry, you never have to start from zero again. The body somehow remembers, and your aerobic capacity will improve much faster than the last time round.
I've always felt the 10% rule doesn't really apply for low mileage, so you don't have to be too timid. It's when you reach 30 or 40 miles a week that you should keep to that rule, and even then it depends on the individual.
A different rule: Jack Daniels said it's ok to increase the mileage by as many days as you are running a week. So, if you're running, say, 4 times a week, it's ok to increase your weekly mileage by 4 miles, as long as you do a recovery week from time to time.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Curtai said...

Thanks Thomas. Hey do you want to be my coach? You seem like you know enough to do it.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

In 10 years or so I might actually know enough about running that I can advise others. Up to then I'll better restrict myself to a few comments every now and then.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Curtai said...

LOL, you are too modest Mr. Thomas!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home