Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ultimate Weekend

Did I ever mention that I love playing Ultimate?
www.emeraldcoastultimate.com
Check it out!

Back from playing at the annual Turkey Tourney in Huntsville. My legs still feel like lead weights. Running all weekend with the twenty somethings is just a bitch. The distance muscles used for running are not the same as the fast twitch type that are used during Ultimate play.

One good thing, something magical happened during the night on Saturday night at the Tournament, my knee quit hurting....It was like someone had an ice pick in the dang thing on Saturday, but Sunday morning, I took my first few running steps and expected the usual negative reply from the right knee, but nothing, nada, zippo. KEWL as KEWL can be.

A number of the people who went to the tourney are in the military and were saying that they had to do PT on Monday (grumble grumble) so I took about an hour and went for a little recovery run. It was slow and way more painful than I thought it would be, but hey

I AM AN ATHLETE

I CAN PUSH MY BODY TO LIMITS THAT FEW OTHERS CAN.

HEH, I suspect there are only a few ultimate players that can run a marathon, however, I bet everyone who was at that tournament could run a 10 K in under an hour. Ultimate players are just like that. I will in general put ultimate players cardio fitness up against any other athlete type. Core strength, which is another animal altogether, is looming on my fitness horizon. I personally need to improve my core. According to Ronnie, as I age, I will injure more easily and if I wish to maintain levels of performance then core strength is crucial.

CAN I TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DISLIKE lifting weights? I would rather have bamboo shoots under my nails.......... ugh. but I think he is correct, as evidenced by the shoulder.

During last weekend's tournament, there were not too many on our team that could put the disc long. Thus It fell to my choice to put the disc long often and today I think you could rip my arm off and beat me with it and it would hurt just slightly more. I whine here cause it is all self induced... I did not HAVE to throw that far that often. OK I do have an appointment with the orthoped in Gulf Breeze in December to review the whole shoulder. Silberburg says I need to strengthen the joint muscles to hold everything in place, however I need a second opinion, cause if it is gonna require surgury to be better, then so be it lets do it, get it done and on to rehab.

We'll see and for tonight, I will try to NOT throw deep very often. I will work on the crisp passes and precision throws underneath.

I do not even know what strength exercises to do............ I hate the weight room.

PS our team did very well this weekend, despite my numerous turnovers.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home