Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Race Report for The 2006 Steamtown Marathon Part 1

1) Travel
I have to say that it has been a while since just Robia and I went anywhere together. Just the two of us. Now this is not intentional, but an artifact of two little ones. If you have ‘em you understand, if you don’t, you won’t. Anyhow, after much planning cajoling and such, Robia agreed that she would go on this vacation/marathon/audit trip with me. Well the day finally came and we were off. Thursday, we headed out to the great wide open. Robia and I packed light, knowing we were to be moving around quite a bit. Anyhow, we arrived into Philadelphia without to much difficulty and aimed for downtown with no dinner reservations or hotel. We were winging it, something I usually don’t mind doing when left on my own, however I was a little bit off as I found it hard to travel with Robia in that fashion. The place were I had kind of thought we would eat did not go over with Robia, she wanted something else, it was just not the right spot! We wound up finding a little sushi place that was OK with respect to Sushi, and we drove around the sites in Philly for a while, we saw the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall ( they look just like they do at Disney!). Once we had dinner we set off to find a place to sleep. Nothing seemed to suit us as all we could find was a budget hotel with no working elevator and a room on the fourth floor. It turns out that former presidents Bush and Clinton were there on a fundraiser. We could have seen Bon Jovi for a mere $10K, whoa, a little outta my league. I was feeling ok so we set sail for Scranton, it seemed the logical thing to do. It was a pretty easy drive as the expressway was not too crowded at night. No one else was silly enough to drive at that time of night. We arrived to a Holiday Inn and got a room. Fine enough a little rough around the edges, but what the heck. We got in and tumbled into bed for the night. We woke to some swimming and nice workout in the Gym and packed to get to the Bischwind. On the way we went to a meeting where there were about 45 people. We left there and went to the Bed and Breakfast.

Now I have not been to a B&B before, so I did not know what to expect. But I can say whole-heartedly, that I thoroughly enjoyed it. www.bischwind.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home