Friday, October 13, 2006

Recovery

Dehydration and the Marathon for me was well let’s just say not pretty. After the race, I needed, so I thought, just to sit for a few minutes. Shortly after sitting down, I had to go to the porta-let and wanted something to drink desperately. I went to the let and had the runs and found that the water was making me nauseous. I was just going to tough it out but was not really thinking all that well. I did not even stop my time as I crossed the finish line! I asked Julie, who I later found out was sick herself for a bottle of water. I was going down hill. Robia then found us and was so thrilled that I finished on goal time. She was with us for a few and all I wanted to do was leave. She went to get the car and I was in and out of the porta-let 5 times. She called me on the cell and told me where she was parked and I walked the ½ block to the car and tried to get in. I was Nauseous and cramping like I have never before! My foot pulled to the side like I have never cramped before…. Totally painful! It was then that I realized that I needed to do something other than just go back to the Hotel. I have never been to the Medical tent before and felt like I just wanted to tough it out, but I could tell even in my diminished state that I was not well. They sat me in a wheelchair and wheeled me to the medics who took the BP and Glucose and temp and assessed dehydration and started an IV. I took one bag and the BP went from 86/60 to 90/65 and they said I’d need another. The second bag did the trick 110/80 I think. Robia, bless her heart was good about taking care of me, while delivering the folks I was riding with back to the hotel at the top of the hill. By the time she got back, I was much better, color was better etc. She said I looked terrible after the finish…. A huge thanks to the guys in the Med tent. (I remember being so cold, I could not stop shaking……I am still not sure if that is the dehydration or great AC in the building… they told me good AC but it seems the fluids I was getting were cold.)

My medal picture shows me with my bloody arm where the needle went in. Told you it would be a little graphic. Anyhow. UNDER FOUR HOURS!

How cool is that!
Curtai Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home