Sunday, February 26, 2006

Doctors and Mechanics




The doctor says, "Your shoulder is broken blab blah blah blab, I would like to see you in 3 weeks, in the mean time, wear this sling to blah blah blab lah. See you then. I get a good impression of this Doc, She seems to be the no nonsense type that is about getting whats broke, fixed. Here is her Bio page from the hospital's web page.
http://www.white-wilson.com/bio.asp?BioId=34
I wish I could have heard beyond "broken shoulder" She did say a lot of words, but unfortunately, I did not hear them.

It is amazing to me that Auto mechanics and doctors are such a similar professions. I mean the human body is a bio-mechanical machine, it has a frame (skeleton) , attachments (weld joints) Articulating Joints (steering System), Modern cars have a multitude of sensors (nerves) which create electrical feedback, which is interpreted and necessary adjustments are made. In my mind the is a great similarity between Doctors and Mechanics. Notice how the both can get to the Blah Blah Blah mentioned above in about a nano-second. This is by no means any disrespect to either profession. In fact I have a great amount of respect for the professional in either instance. I mean hey Mac, the car has a cluck or a screeeeech, or a kathudder, or it only starts on the first try every other tuesday if the temperature is cold. Similarly, hey Doc, I got a general feeling of being run down, I dont seem to start well unless it is the first day of the month and the magnetic polarity of the stars are in attunement. The point is diagnosis and treatment are skills that are truly amazing, and to be correct more often than the weather forecasters is even better. Science, skill, instinct, knowledge, experience, care are all qualities that make for good Docs and Macs. So I am not sure if the bushings (soft tissue) are messed up in my shoulder, we can't know until the upper control arm is rewelded in place. So I wait, and try not to worry.

Anyhow, I wish I would have gotten copies of the x-ray and a full written report on what was broken, the diagnosis, how long to expect to be out the prognosis and How long I will be out.. A better definition of what I can and can not do to avoid aggravating the injury. (for example, can i pick up my kid with my left arm? If I keep my arm to my side can I hold and curl things even with my bad arm? note: that does not hurt. Sleeping, I have not slept a day in my life on my back, so Am I messing up by taking off the sling and sleeping with the arm tucked in normal sleep position?)

Sheesh, I am a technical geek, and I suppose that I could answer many of these question if I had listened. My wife works in the Medical World and has a way to have all of this information copied and sent to her office, perhaps what is called for is patience, a word I loathe.

This is a link to the Docs Bio. I would say if I were looking for a random Doc in the phone book for my broken shoulder, I would be looking for a doc has these credentials . Amazing how things seem to unfold. Stay tuned for more random musings.

Vaya Con Dios
Curtai

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home