Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Disney




Wow, What a great time I had. I finished in 4:23:21! I am still alive and fully jazzed about the run. I will write about it today and post later if possible. I need to scan some pictures.
To be honest, I did not have any trouble finishing the distance, I was bouncing through the finish (I probably did not run fast enough, but since I had such agreat time, perhaps I ran just fast enough!)

The first picture is probably my favorite of the Marathon. Tigger exemplifies all that is childlike. An excited approach to life is just the best!

The weekend started well after work on Thursday, we drove to Disney, about a 7 hour drive. You can do the Math, oh and throw an hour time change in too. We arrived about 2 AM, but arrived we did. I only made one wrong turn that cost us about 1/2 an hour grrrrrrr.

We got up and rolling the next day and went to the expo to start the day at about 11:00 AM. The WDW Wide World of Sports is an Awesome complex. We found our way into the expo and got the bib, chip and shirt. (One of the few knocks on the run was the shirts were all too large!) Did all that and found a pair of my favorite running shoes on sale for 20% off, so of course I shelled out the money for them. (If nothing else this was an expensive weekend!) Anyhow, got all of that handled and left for Disney's Magic Kingdom. We bought our season tickets, which ensures we'll be back later in the year. Hurray, I really like Disney, maybe more than my Daughter Sierra, maybe not. We spent the rest of the day riding rides and eating. I was a little nervous about eating as I did not want to develop any Montezuma's revenge. We had dinner in the Castle at Disney, Very cool! I had perhaps the best scallop ever. The other fish in my stew was just OK. Sierra rode Space Mountain with me, and we retired by about 10:00 PM.

Saturday, was COLD for central Florida, no for anywhere, it was just above freezing. We were up and out by about 10:00 am and as we were loading the buses we saw the first of the half marathon people returning, medal and blankets in hand. It seemed as though everyone was doing the Goofy challenge. actually there were about 3ooo.

(an aside here, It was weird, but I felt like my accomplishment was somehow diminished by the people doing the goofy challenge, as if a Marathon was somehow not the most awesome thing that was happening that weekend. It is my head, but, mine was not the ultimate accomplishment of the weekend.)

For me it was!

We went to Animal Kingdom on Saturday which is an awesome park..... I like it more each time.
We also learned about Disney Pin trading, Sheesh, another whole activity to spend money on!

We rounded out the day by going to the Hoop De Do Revue and Old west style dinner show. We laughed quite a bit at this one, then headed downtown to see Downtown Disney. I was intending to be in bed by 9 PM, I made it back by 10 in bed by 11 after setting the wake up call for 3 AM (the second bummer about the WDW marathon).

Note to Self: A good night sleep two nights before race day was a REALLY good idea. I was awake at 12, 1, 2, 2:15 2:30, 2:45 and called to cancel the wake up call so as to not wake anyone else up........ LOL, so it is get dressed and head to the start. More tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curtai! I'm such an idiot! I got confused, thought the race was Saturday, and called you then. Oops, I missed the experience of talking to a world class (hic) runner during a marathon!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you! What a thrill to watch you engaging in one of your passions. It was also great to be with one of the STARS of the marathon. " I'm with the guy in the band, I mean the guy in the marathon." What a great combination of Disney and sports. I got a great workout just walking the parks. It was also great to show Sierra how we support each other and other athletes. I thought it was great(word of the day) to teach her to cheer on other people who were trying to achieve the same goal even though we didn't know them. Well, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, back to work I go. I love you and I am proud of you, Robia

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home